April 18, 2015
Board Meeting Minutes
April 18, 2015 9:00 – 10:30 am
Board members attending: Dale Boswell, Julie Brand, Larry Canada, Randall Coleman, Margaret Cook, Holly Grof, Diane Kohout, Edward Kohout, Ronny Johnston, Ann Jones, Brett Kirkham, Pam McCollough, Connie Morrow, Heath Nails, George Noblin, Bob Olin, Mary Oliver, Ken Ozzello, Jack Robbins, Skip Snead, Greg Snowden, Barbara Stone, Albert Tarica, Ramona Tarica, Chandra Wright and Kathy Yarbrough.
Dean Bob Olin called the meeting to order at 9:10 am. Dean Olin welcomed everyone to this first meeting of the Friends of the Million Dollar Band and announced that the Friends have 149 members and more than $12,000 in dues to date. He thanked everyone who has worked hard over the past three years and supported the university in getting us to this point. He gave an overview of the exciting things happening for the MDB—renovations to Butler Field, new wing added to Moody Music Building for the band, instrument storage and bathrooms in the new parking structure next to Butler Field, etc. He thanked the Million Dollar Band Association for their years of steadfast support of the band and reported that over the years, they have contributed more than $230,000 to the MDBA Endowed Scholarship. Dean Olin gave a brief overview of how the Friends formed and thanked members of the planning committee who he worked with to draft by-laws and propose the slate of officers.
Dean Olin then presented the by-laws for approval and Larry Canada moved to have the by-laws approved as presented by the Planning Committee. The motion was seconded and approved unanimously.
Dean Olin presented a slate of officers for approval and Larry Canada moved to elect the slate as presented. The motion was seconded and approved unanimously. Pam McCollough was elected President, Jack Robbins was elected Vice President, Ronny Johnston was elected secretary and Barbara Stone was elected Treasurer. The Dean turned the meeting over to President Pam McCollough.
Ms. McCollough thanked everyone for attending the meeting and for their support of the band. She introduced the officers and stated her gratitude for the long years of service by the MDBA. She then introduced Ken Ozzello, director of the Million Dollar Band.
Dr. Ozzello gave a power point presentation on the current status of the band. He announced that Alumni Band weekend will be Louisiana-Monroe on September 26. He welcomed Million Dollar Band members, Jessica Palmer, drum major and Music Education major and Sara Beth Yates, clarinet and Chemical Engineering major, to speak about their experiences in the band.
Ms. McCollough then spoke about the importance of Board members participating on a committee. She asked Jack Robbins to talk about the events committee, Ronny Johnston to speak about the membership committee and Larry Canada to talk about the by-laws committee. She encouraged everyone to serve on a committee as that is where the work of the board will be done.
Under New Business, the following questions and comments were discussed:
• It was suggested that an open house be held when the new wing of Moody is opened to encourage folks to join the Friends.
• There was a suggestion that having a membership table at band initiation weekend would be helpful.
• One member asked about donating directly to the endowed scholarship—checks can be made payable to The University of Alabama with a designation that the gift is for the MDB scholarship and sent to Kathy Yarbrough, College of Arts and Sciences, Box 870268, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487.
• A member asked about the support of the Athletics Program which covers the operating expenses of the band.
• One member asked how the Friends will communicate with Board Members: the Friends have a website friendsofmdb.ua.edu where information will be distributed to Board members, there will be mailings and email to discuss specific issues (i.e. meeting times and dates, committee work, distribution of minutes, etc.) and a newsletter will be produced twice a year.
It was announced that lunch was being provided for all Board members courtesy of the School of Music and that 10% of purchases at Newk’s today would be given to the School of Music if you said when ordering that you support music education.
President McCollough adjourned the meeting at 10:30 am.